Welcome to the Institute for Regional and International Studies
On July 1, the International Institute became the Institute for Regional and International Studies (IRIS). In addition to the name change, IRIS and its member centers have shifted administratively into the International Division. Read more...
Learn about upcoming events from IRIS member programs on our events page and get the latest updates about events & resources on campus and off through our Twitter feed.
The Institute for Regional and International Studies (IRIS) - formerly the International Institute - comprises the area studies centers at UW–Madison, and is itself a Title VI National Resource Center for International Studies.
IRIS addresses area and international research and training by bringing together the expertise of its member centers under a collaborative umbrella.
Constituent Programs (by region):
- African Studies Program *
- Latin American, Caribbean and Iberian Studies Program *
- East Asia
- Center for East Asian Studies
- Center for Russia, East Europe and Central Asia *
- Center for European Studies *
- Center for German and European Studies
- Center for Interdisciplinary French Studies
- European Studies Alliance
- Middle East
- Middle East Studies Program
- South Asia
- Center for South Asia *
- Southeast Asia and Oceania
- Center for Southeast Asian Studies *
- International Studies Major
* Indicates Title VI National Resource Center
To learn more about constituent programs visit their websites listed above or explore the pages here, which include information on funding opportunities for faculty & staff and students, supporting individual centers & programs, and connecting with the programs on social media.